A B Corp, otherwise known as a Certified B Corporation, is a business that has met certain high standards established by the non-profit B Lab, which provides the B Corp certification. The B Corp standards involve a corporation’s verified social and environmental performance, its impact on its workers and customers, its public transparency. B Corps have opted to become part of a global culture shift toward the concept of business as a force for good, redefining “success” by using profits and growth as a means to a greater end and committing to help build a more inclusive, sustainable economy. After a company receives its B Corp certification, it must amend its legal governing documents to require its board of directors to balance profit and purpose.
Working for Women shares the B Corp community’s view that society’s most challenging problems cannot be addressed by government and non-profits alone, and supports the B Corp mission of working to reduce inequality and poverty levels, promote a healthier environment and stronger communities, and create more high-quality jobs that have both dignity and purpose.
Part of Working for Women’s directive is to support the B Corp “Declaration of Interdependence,” which states:
Working for Working is making the B Impact Assessment available for our members to help you learn best practices companies can adopt regarding their workers, communities, and the environment.
- That we must be the change we seek in the world.
- That all business ought to be conducted as if people and place mattered.
- That, through their products, practices, and profits, businesses should aspire to do no harm and benefit all.
- To do so requires that we act with the understanding that we are dependent upon another and thus responsible for each other and future generations.
Working for Women (W4) makes it easy for B Corporations to fulfill this by building relationships with nonprofits focused on the entry, training, education and support of all women in the workforce. Our process involves:
- Creating a community around supporting women in the workforce through building relationships with non-profits focused on elevating women in the workforce
- Aggregating resources from businesses to enable our nonprofit partners to serve more women
- Providing skill-based volunteer opportunities for business through our nonprofit partners
- Measuring the impact of Working for Women’s investments
- Creating a larger movement through sharing stories of our impact together
Join Working for Women and YOU help elevate women to economic security.
BECOME A MEMBER today!